Ladiibbug's Reviews > Benighted

Benighted by Kit Whitfield
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
700357
's review
Jan 05, 09

Read in January, 2009

Did Not Finish - Quit at page 130

90% of the population are werewolves, the other 10% are non's. The law requires werewolves to lock themselves inside on full moons to avoid prowling, maiming and murdering while under the moon influence.

The non's are required to belong to DORLA (Dept. for the Ongoing Regulation of Lycanthorpic Activities). DORLA teams in vans hunt on full moon nights to catch and jail those werewolves who are out. The "dogcatching" is extremely dangerous, as the human non's are ill equipped, not well trained, and strictly regulated as to tactics. Most non's have been maimed or seriously injured, but in this world, that's just the way it is, and there's nothing to be done about it.

The non's of DORLA also represent the werewolves who are caught (as quasi-attornies) and jail them. (Not sure if they're judges also.)

At first the book is intriguing and very different from anything I've read before. But the DORLA non's live such difficult lives with so few choices that for me the book quickly becames depressing.
3 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Benighted.
sign in »

Reading Progress

01/04/2009 page 24
4.51%

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, I'm planning to read this one! Let us know if there's hope, LOL.


Debbie I just finished it today. I am a patient reader. This stayed a very slow read to the last page (516). I have to say I wish I had spent the time reading something else. It's not that it's a bad book- it's just that it's the opposite of a page-turner. With every turn (~258 turns) I sighed and thought "Please. Let something happen on the next page."


back to top