Carole-Ann's Reviews > Blade Song

Blade Song by J.C. Daniels

Dec 01, 12

bookshelves: pnr-stuff
Read from September 20 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy

I've read most (if not all) of Shiloh Walker's books, so I'm used to her shapeshifters/vampires/witches etc as well as her romantic suspense books (the Ash trilogy?) and YA stuff, so I was expecting a fairly decent read.

It's not outstanding as a paranormal/urban fantasy story (there are a great number out there!), but I found it really enjoyable - once I got over a few hurdles :)

Kit, the heroine, has an horrific past, memories of which tend to freeze her at inopportune moments, or scare her more in scary situations; so some times she manages to cope and others she chickens out (in one way or another). I understand this: that she has overcome torture and abuse but still retains fears makes her reactions unpredicatable. But she's a fighter with a kind heart, and as the book progresses I understand her better and better (and probably make some allowances).

Damon, the hero (although for the first half of the book one would definitely call him the anti-hero), is a first class arrogant Alpha A$$hole shapeshifter cat (we find out later what he is), and I was wary of his character because he did so MANY wrong things at the beginning. Ah but.....persevering, as the story progresses there are hints here and there as to why he acts as he does. I'm not excusing him for some really dumb things, but (again) I understand this - he has a duty to perform and doesn't like some things about that duty.

OK, so we have two not-perfect people who act and react in imperfect ways, and communication between them is well nigh impossible. But they learn and listen, and eventually understand.

If you want a synopsis, go to other reviews (there are a lot of them); I enjoyed the read (OK I've read better AND worse); yes, there are pitfalls in beginning a new series with a new world, but Ms Walker/Daniels is more than capable of developing and refining these new characters in the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blade Song.