Spiros's Reviews > Green Shadows, White Whale: A Novel of Ray Bradbury's Adventures Making Moby Dick with John Huston in Ireland

Green Shadows, White Whale by Ray Bradbury

Sep 27, 12

bookshelves: cinerelated, remainders, vacationreads, favorite-americans
Recommended for: Spike Milligan fans
Read from September 21 to 26, 2012

In 1953, Ray Bradbury joined John Huston in Ireland to work on a screenplay of Moby Dick. Many years later, Bradbury assembled his impressions of the six months spent in Ireland into a "novel"; actually, this reads more like a fictionalized series of articles, but if Bradbury wants to call it a novel, then well and good. Obviously, it is very well written. Parts of it are brilliant, especially those chapters dealing with the louche David Snell-Orkney and his bouquet of five "hothouse flowers", which then progresses to the "anthem sprinting" anecdote (and if the National Anthem was played at the end of ballgames instead of the beginning, let it be noted that I would be a champion Anthem Sprinter; as it stands, I'm more of an Anthem Shirker). Where the book feels thin to me is in its coverage of John Huston: it doesn't really add anything to my understanding of one of my top five film directors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Shadows, White Whale.