Tanya Patrice's Reviews > Parable of the Sower

Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler

Sep 29, 12

Read from September 21 to 23, 2012

Butler does not pull any punches in the dark, violent dystopian society that she created. She let's us know in no uncertain terms that any feeling of safety is fleeting, and any hope of a bright future is just a pipe dream. The world Butler created is realistic, and she tackles many tough issues in this book - racism, socioeconomic strife, and religion, as Lauren has her own ideas about God and has developed her own theory, called Earthseed. But it all feels organic and evolves into a well-told story.

This book is BLEAK & DEPRESSING - yes, all caps! Yet, I kept reading - maybe morbid fascination? But Butler's simple, direct writing style drew me in, and I wanted to see how Lauren Olamina would survive when the walls came tumbling down around her. I cannot recommend this book enough! It's sure to be on my list of favorite books read this year, and I'll definitely be picking up the next book in the series in the near future.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parable of the Sower.