Ruth's Reviews > Against the Tide

Against the Tide by Elizabeth Camden

Jul 06, 13

bookshelves: covers-that-are-gorgeous, library_mediamall, historical-fiction, regency-victorian
Read from June 22 to July 06, 2013

This was a fascinating look at a very dark period in American history, which I don't think I've ever seen or heard about in popular media, except in a passing, romanticized way in Sherlock Holmes stories. This book takes the insidious evil that was widespread opium addiction and weaves it into a wonderful story of American hope and new beginnings.

I'm not a fan of Christian fiction or romances, but I'm an open-minded sort of person, and apart from a few pages towards the end which I felt might have verged on the preachifying just a little, I came away thinking that this author used the hero's faith as a means of broadening our understanding of him, in the process making him more real, more tangible and more interesting. People have all sorts of different reasons for doing what they do, and using his faith to explain this character's motivations made absolutely perfect sense to me and enriched the story IMO.

Apparently, the hero, Bane, appears in a previous book in a series, but I didn't know that, and it didn't influence my choice nor my enjoyment of it. I was hooked by the cover, which is just about perfect, and then sucked in by the description, and I have to say, this book was a wonderful, wonderful read, with very few tropes, a lot of originality, and a very simple writing style, which I found endearingly straightforward. The only issue I had was that it wasn't exactly clear why the hero and heroine fell for each other. It is clear how well they get on together, and how productive they are in achieving their goals, but there is a world of difference between friendship and respect and actually falling for someone, and I don't think this book really managed to bridge that.

Anyway, 4 stars, I really liked it, and was not at all put off by the Christian themes.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Against the Tide.

06/22/2013 marked as: currently-reading
07/06/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Jul 07, 2013 03:13AM) (new) - added it

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Nice review Ruth. Have to agree,I read one of these once and awhile and sometimes they work.. or not if overly "preachy"