Jodi's Reviews > Fashionable Mourning Jewelry, Clothing, & Customs

Fashionable Mourning Jewelry, Clothing, & Customs by Mary Brett

Jan 25, 09

bookshelves: death-dying-mourning, want-to-buy
Recommended for: Victorian buffs, those with morbid interests
Read in January, 2009

The book starts off with a short introduction to the Victorian period--when thanks to an increasing middle class, affordable photography and the mother of all mourners, Queen Victoria--death became obsessively romantic and fetishized.

Aimed at collectors, the book is lavishly illustrated with photographs and gives a brief survey of related mourning items such as funeral invitations, memorial stationery, deathbed photos, tear catchers(!), celluloid mourning pins, mourning clothing and hairwork jewelry. It also includes a reproduction of a book published in 1875, The Art of Hairwork, which shows how human hair jewelry (ewww) was made.

This book is also a good starting point for those interested in learning more about the customs and fashions of the time.

To nitpick: There are some rather obvious mistakes in this book that could have easily been caught by a good copy editor (words running together, miss-matched topic headings, etc). The picture captions also tend to repeat the text verbatim, which is especially irritating when the text is located right next to the picture that is captioned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fashionable Mourning Jewelry, Clothing, & Customs.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie How do you find the most interesting books?

Jodi I spend too much time on Amazon.com dorking out doing things like using the search term "postmortem Victorian photography"! But in all seriousness, I find Amazon pretty good at suggesting other items you may like based on your searches/ratings. This is one that popped up as a suggestion.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Well, it must be working for you! I was theorizing that you just see all the cool stuff get returned:)

LOL "dorking out" -- I'm going to use that one.

I stole **snort** from Marisa to use in emails.

Jodi Yeah, I do that as well....thanks to the reserve room and all you guys on Goodreads, my "to read" list will never be empty!