VampireNovelFan's Reviews > Grave Memory

Grave Memory by Kalayna Price

Oct 04, 12

bookshelves: demons, fae, mystery, paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy, witches, love-triangle
Read from September 21 to 26, 2012

Probably the best overall for this series

Usually by book 3 I'm able to determine whether or not I love a series. Well, I'm now fully into the world of Alex Craft and while good, I still don't feel as invested in the long haul.

There are some interesting developments in Nekros City; a string of suicides leaves Alex with many questions and few answers as she investigates these occurrences. The shades of these bodies all possess no memory of their final days, meaning that there's a big chance these people are actually murder victims. Facing magical adversaries she has never encountered before is always risky, especially as she navigates through her own evolution into her fae heritage, but this time the stakes may be too high.

While I am not totally in love with this series, in terms of the overall actual story, I thought this was the most interesting. I mean, suicide that may not be suicide? What a mindf*ck! I was quite invested in how Alex would solve the crime this time. My favorite scene for this series is still probably the last quarter of the second novel, Grave Dance, where she is fully immersed into the world of Faerie, but the overarching mystery was more compelling here.

All of everyone's favorite supporting characters are back and just as involved as ever. I do like that her problems strike close enough to home to put her friends in real danger, not just the fodder characters. It makes me wonder how far Kalayna Price is willing to go. I'm most interested in learning more about her Faerie roots and her destiny. It seems all but certain that she will be a huge player when it comes to its future.

One can't talk about this series without bringing up the love triangle. I was all but expecting to pull a switcheroo and get on the Team Death bandwagon, but after reading it I still prefer Falin. I'm not anti-Death and he gets more points here, but I was hoping for more substantial screentime with him this time around. Price still spends more time telling us about him and Alex than showing us like we get to see with Falin and Alex. There is undoubtedly more movement for them (I'm coining it Dalex if nobody has yet); I know he loves her and will sacrifice for her, I get it. But to keep this triangle going it's becoming formulaic, so I wonder why I should still care at all. I can certainly say this isn't changing my mind about love-triangles. They still blow.

Book 4 is due out next year, so maybe I will have some time to miss this world and it will be refreshing to see it again. Things are certainly about to get REALLY interesting based on the semi-cliffhanger ending...

*Review also posted to Amazon.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Memory.

09/21/2012
09/25/2012
45.0% "oh, it's death."
09/25/2012
68.0% "Alex says "I love Falin. No I love Death. But I love Falin..." yadda yadda yadda"
09/26/2012
91.0% "I'm sure I was supposed to care, but getting Trent's POV from the paperback of APB has made me pretty apathetic to any and all books for the moment, rofl." 4 comments
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Isn't that the truth? lolol

VampireNovelFan Veronica G. wrote: "Isn't that the truth? lolol"

Yeah. I'm done and I can shelf this one.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel the exact blend of indifference-verging-on-positive that you describe. I think it might be time for me to quit this series.

Carley First time I've found someone else on team Falin. Awesome.

VampireNovelFan Carley wrote: "First time I've found someone else on team Falin. Awesome."

LOL. I guess we probably are a sparse bunch. Oh well.

Naoms Falin over Death?! lol.(that never fails to be strange, writing death)

VampireNovelFan Lol yeah it is a little weird.

Maria DALEX! or FALEX? :)

VampireNovelFan Maria wrote: "DALEX! or FALEX? :)"

Falex!

VampireNovelFan Maria wrote: "DALEX! or FALEX? :)"

Falex!

Maria I'm just amazed she doesn't want to know Death's name. Does she have no curiosity? :)

VampireNovelFan Maria wrote: "I'm just amazed she doesn't want to know Death's name. Does she have no curiosity? :)"

Yeah, there are a few things that aren't very believable, lol. Add that to the list.

Christina What about the peoples like me who like both Death & Falin? Lol I dont have a team to be part of I guess :/

VampireNovelFan You are a rare case! You should be in the I can't lose club

Christina VampireNovelFan wrote: "You are a rare case! You should be in the I can't lose club"

Lol yea I never thought of it that way! Normally I'm the first to have choose a team when there's a triangle :)

Maria Christina, I like both of them, too. I can't choose one over the other b/c they're both interesting and equally viable as partners (although Falin seems more likely to be someone she can eventually settle with since they have the shared fae thing, but Death has known her her whole life and is a constant, albeit an erratic one).