Crowinator's Reviews > Shadowlands

Shadowlands by Kate Brian

Sep 21, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: booklist-review, arcs, 2012-reads, assassins-and-serial-killers, narrators-of-the-dead, mystery-and-crime, ya
Read from October 09 to 10, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowlands.

10/09/2012 page 7
2.0% "I hope Rory dyes her hair when she goes into witness protection later in the book, because on the cover she has dark brown hair, and the killer has just commented on how beautifully gold it is three times in the opening chapter."
10/10/2012 page 48
14.0% "So, after Rory is attacked in the woods, the cops let Rory's dad hug her and then allow her boyfriend, who picked her up on the side of the road and drove her home, leave without examining anything for evidence. They don't even talk to the boyfriend who made the 911 call. Then when she goes into hiding, they confiscate her cell phone so she can't give away her location but not her iPad. WORST COPS EVER."
10/10/2012 page 70
20.0% "It was all a dream! Or was it!? Yeah, I can see where this is going...."
10/10/2012 page 336
100.0% "This gets two stars because there was a moment near the end where I actually felt a twinge of unease, and the surprise at being even momentarily engaged shocked me into finishing the book before I realized it. Faint praise indeed."

message 1: by Elena (new)

Elena You actually expect the girl on the cover to look like the protagonist? You may have unrealistically high expectations of the publishing industry. :P

Crowinator True. But they could at least get the hair color right, since the killer spends the first chapter obsessing on how her gold hair is the only special thing about her. What a detail to miss! (c:

message 3: by Elena (new)

Elena My favorite wrong-character-entirely cover is The Demon's Covenant (The Demon's Lexicon, #2) by Sarah Rees Brennan. Mae is short and has bright pink hair. Even if they were putting Sin on the cover of Mae's book for no reason whatsoever, Sin is black. SO AWFUL.

Crowinator So true. And I've always hated those covers. They look overly Photoshopped or something. Brennan deserves better. But as usual, the UK cover (for the paperback) gets it right with the pink hair.

message 5: by Elena (new)

Elena I'm so jealous of the UK covers. They are pretty amazing.

Crowinator Spoiler: she doesn't dye her hair. The cover just gets it wrong.

Wendy Darling Are you going to write a review, Crow? I just finished this last night. We're among the few negative ratings...

Crowinator Sorry Wendy -- I didn't see this comment until now! I'm planning on writing a review for this one eventually. I always end up back-burning the negative ones. I'm actually not sure I can think of anything positive to say about this one....