Kathy's Reviews > Smart Move

Smart Move by Melanie Jacobson

Oct 11, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, 2012
Read in October, 2012

I’ve read and enjoyed Ms Jacobson’s other books and was excited when I saw she had a new one coming out. I was a little surprised when I had a hard time getting into this one though. From the start, I didn’t really like our heroine Sandy. Which is never a good sign when you’re starting a book and already don’t care for the lead character. I was really hoping she would grow on me, but she never did. I thought from beginning to end that she was narrow minded and was always jumping to conclusions. At the end of the day she just seemed cold to me. I couldn’t understand what Jake saw in her.

I liked Jake, although I wish he would have stood up for himself a little more. At one point he finally takes a stand and even tells Sandy he is done. But, the very next time they are together he starts chasing her again. He was always chasing her. It’s great that he is crazy about her (for some reason), but come on. I just wish he would have let her stew a little bit, let her think she has actually lost him. She was constantly putting him in the wrong, when he never actually did anything wrong. So, the whole time he is trying to win her over, when really she should have been trying to win him over.

I didn’t really feel the chemistry between them. I guess we’re supposed to assume that once this case was over things would go all happily ever after, but I have some doubts. Sandy never really proved herself. Sandy never really showed any growth. IMO. I get that she had a messed up childhood, crazy mom and nonexistent dad. But, I would have liked to see her show a little faith. Speaking of faith, I would have liked to see her faith play a bigger role in the story. It seemed pretty non-existent and I wasn’t sure why it was even brought up if it wasn’t going to be a part of the character or growth. It just seemed like a plot devise that would occasionally bring them together (he’s her home teacher, FHE, church, etc.)

Wow, this sounds harsher than I intended. Overall, it was okay, others will probably like it more than I did. I’ll still look for and read anything Ms. Jacobson writes, this one just didn’t click with me.

Content: Clean.

(I just realized this is a companion novel to Twitterpated.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smart Move.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Valerie Waters I totally agree with you!! I thought his chasing was way over done! She totally didn't deserve it!

Valerie Waters I also agree about the lds elements. If your going to being it up then use it as part of the story. I really liked jake. The more I think about it the more I like him