Michael's Reviews > Hannibal Rising

Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris

M_50x66
Jan 04, 09

Read in December, 2008

Hannibal Rising is the origin story of Hannibal Lecter, a character introduced by Thomas Harris in Red Dragon (1981). I had already seen all of the major motion picture adaptations of Thomas Harris' novels and decided to start reading the novels in developmental order (Hannibal Rising, Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal). As with most novels, Hannibal Rising was better than the movie, although that doesn't say much. I was actually quite turned off by this novel and from Thomas Harris and almost decided to skip reading Red Dragon. Where to start? I know there was over a 20 year lapse between the writing of Red Dragon and Hannibal Rising but there are some inconsistencies between Hannibal Lecter across the novels. The revenge aspect of the novel is done well but all of the surrounding details are uninteresting and... odd (not what you'd expect for the development of such a character). Some of chapters are completely derailed by Harris' awkward prose and some chapters don't seem to offer much of anything to the novel except a couple extra pages. After reading this novel I couldn't help but feel that Harris wrote it to cash in on the popularity and success that the movie Hannibal achieved. 2.5 stars for a mildly entertaining but ultimately rushed and weak effort.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hannibal Rising.