Tami's Reviews > Earth and Air: Tales of Elemental Creatures

Earth and Air by Peter Dickinson

Oct 15, 12

bookshelves: random-library-picks, goodreads-advanced
Read from October 02 to 13, 2012 — I own a copy

I received Peter Dickinson's Earth and Air book via a goodreads giveaway.

I love collections of short stories because each tale is generally a quick read, easy to fit into a busy schedule. You get nice tasty bites of well written stories and putting a book down to sleep or chase after your toddler is easier if you aren't ripping yourself away from a gripping chapter.

The down side of a really well written collection of short fiction is that when a story is really well told moving onto the next story right away is a bit of a jolt especially if the settings and characters are miles apart. It can take a few pages to become reabsorbed into the next short story.

With this collection this was a big issue for me, each tale in the collection was very well told, the characters were gripping the premises intriguing and in each case I wanted the story to continue, to learn more about the people, get deeper into the action and motives. Sometimes I've found that the fiction in collections of short stories to feel a little unfinished, like the author is using short stories to build his or her voice, I've found this to be true in the case of the short fiction China Mieville and William Gibson for instance, Their short story collections while well written are not as finished as their larger universes. Earth and Air does not have that feel at all; Peter Dickinson has a clear and strong story teller voice and each tale in Earth and Air is well fleshed out.

I'd like to say that there were a few stand out stories in this collection for me and I'm sure with a little distance there will be one or two stories that stay in my brain; but after just finishing the collection they are all lodged in my psyche vying for attention. With tales that run from ancient Beowolf inspired monsters to myth to science fiction this collection is one that I will likely revisit again and again.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earth and Air.

10/05/2012 page 37