Tim Niland's Reviews > The Black Echo

The Black Echo by Michael Connelly

Jan 04, 2009

bookshelves: 2009-reads

Somehow in all of my mystery and crime fiction reading, I had never read anything by Michael Connelly. His books had always been on my reading list, but for some reason or another he was always bumped in favor for something else. Since it looks like Ian Rankin's great detective John Rebus might well have retired, it seemed like a good time to make the acquaintance of his American counterpart, Harry Bosch. Starting at the beginning of the series, we find detective Bosch assigned to the Hollowood, California homicide bureau. A Vietnam veteran, Bosch is haunted by memories of scouring the tunnels of the enemy. When he finds a former war buddy dead of an apparent overdose in a drainage tunnel, Bosch uncovers a massive conspiracy involving robbery, murder and revenge. This was a very good story, Bosch is a great character and Connelly keeps the story moving briskly. There is quite a bit of detective story cliche, but it never detracts from the story which held my interest throughout. I look forward to reading more books in this series soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Echo.

03/30 marked as: read