Nancy's Reviews > Outpost

Outpost by Ann Aguirre

Sep 25, 12

Read from September 22 to 25, 2012

Although I was looking forward to Enclave's sequel, I have to say I'm disappointed. I found Outpost trite and predictable. The world building was much poorer in this novel. Very few questions were answered. Yes, we now know that the freaks aren't zombies, but mutants. How does that make any sense? The author established the disaster that lead to the apocalypse as plague/bioterrorism. That kind of event would produce a group of people that is somehow adapted by the plague, not mutated. The author has established that only about 100 years have gone by since the disaster (since canned goods are still edible). The most likely way for mutation to occur in that short amount of time is through radiation (i.e a nuclear event) which is not the lore.

Another problem is the love triangle that I have to think is grating on everyone. I understand that the author is going with a sort of redeemable theme here, but that could easily be accomplished without Stalker becoming a competitor for Deuce's affections. The message that it sends is just wrong.

But the most disappointing thing about the book was probably Deuce herself. She spends the entire book complaining about how the other people in Salvation can't accept her for who she is, but she never makes that effort with them. She is a prideful, self centered brat. I had hoped for some character growth, but all Deuce seems to be able to do is cling to the Enclave's ways. She can't seem to adapt to the new world she is thrust into.

That being said, Outpost is ok. The fighting scenes were well written, just like in Enclave. And though the world building wasn't as well thought out as Enclave (really, a religiously zealous village called Salvation?), it was still decently interesting. Hopefully the third book will push the story and world further, instead of the static feeling of Outpost.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outpost.