Aliaa El-Nashar's Reviews > Season for Surrender

Season for Surrender by Theresa Romain

Oct 05, 12

Read from September 29 to October 01, 2012

I was actually very excited to get my hands onto this book, as I always am with a historical romance book involved. I am enamored with the old-fashioned dresses they wear on the covers, I loved this one so much because of it. I also enjoyed the title "Season for Surrender" as well as the synopsis!

Lord Xavier - known to almost no one as Alex- thrived to live a life of debauchery, betting and drinking. Or at least, that's the way he appeared to people, not that he wanted to do those things, but he was convinced he'd be worthless without his infamous reputation. His life takes a very strange turn at one of his usually less respectable parties. It all starts when his cousin bets him to convince a proper young lady to attend said party and keep her in it for two weeks. Louisa on the other hand is sick of living a sheltered and unsocial life, especially since she was living with her half-sister and her husband, who just happened to be Lousia's ex-fiancé. So, when she receives an invitation one of Lord Xavier's parties and her aunt agrees to accompany her, she rushes there with hopes she would manage to do something that is decidedly not her.

I laughed a lot due to the humor in this book, Alex was somewhat hilarious. Also, the way the relationship between Alex and Louisa grew was vastly entertaining.They were both great together, and the way they dealt with one another was nice. I like how they were different around one another more than they were around other people. Louisa, I had not expected her character to be so good. I am used to the heroine being whiney, annoying, and making false assumptions, as well as sometimes being weak and believing what she's told straight off. Louisa on the other hand, was very intelligent, understanding, outgoing and a bit fun, which is apparently different than she used to be- since she was seeking a change in character to find excitement. The most thing I enjoyed about Alex were his numbered 'expressions':

*Expression number one: Veiled Disdain
*Expression number two: Haughty Certainty
*Expression number three: Amused Tolerance
*Expression number four: Condescension
*Expression number five: Bemused Tolerance
(Expression Number six: Blatantly annoyed)

This book was awesome. No really. I hated some parts of it sure, others annoyed the hell out of me, but my opinion in general is that I loved this book. I had been excited to read it obviously because it was a historical romance, then as I started reading, I enjoyed the author's style immensely - yes she is now amongst my favourite Historical Romance authors. But I think what sealed the deal with this book for me was the use of Italian authors. I am an Italian major, and knowing what they're talking about and Alex's interest in Italian poetry and poets like Dante Alighieri and Francesco Petrarca was pretty cool. I actually had to study The Divine Comedy (La divina commedia) for Text Analysis Class so I know the three stages in the book of Inferno, Purgatory (purgatorio) and Paradise (paradiso).

Rating: 4/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Season for Surrender.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yomna (new)

Yomna hosny do you like historical romances?? 3omrekee4 areety ketab esmo "season of the sun" 7assa enny badawar 3aleeh ba2aly 9oroon :(

Aliaa El-Nashar Yomna wrote: "do you like historical romances?? 3omrekee4 areety ketab esmo "season of the sun" 7assa enny badawar 3aleeh ba2aly 9oroon :("

Oh no I haven't heard of it. For me I am more into Historical Romances based on England in the 1800's. That's my favourite, I am not into Vikings or Knights etc... Just tudors sometimes

message 3: by Yomna (new)

Yomna hosny oh I see. thank you, though :)

Aliaa El-Nashar Yomna wrote: "oh I see. thank you, though :)"

Sorry though, goodluck in finding it :)
I usually stick with particular authors for historical romance books due to that reason, I don't like all sorts. I am not so fond of the one I am reading right now either.
But I did read a book before for Catherine Coulter, she's not bad!

message 5: by Yomna (new)

Yomna hosny yes, I've been excited to read her stuff but haven't been able to find them anywhere!!

Aliaa El-Nashar Yomna wrote: "yes, I've been excited to read her stuff but haven't been able to find them anywhere!!"

You should attempt to read something by Julia Quinn, she's absolutely AMAZING, and one of my absolute favourite authors of all time! She writes Historical Romances :)

message 7: by Yomna (new)

Yomna hosny I'll definitely give her a try :) which of her books would you recommend?

Aliaa El-Nashar Yomna wrote: "I'll definitely give her a try :) which of her books would you recommend?"
Oh wow, I'd recommend them all actually, but my favourites are the Bridgerton series, What happens in London, Ten things I love about you, and To catch an heiress ( I couldn't stop laughing reading To Catch an Heiress).

message 9: by Yomna (new)

Yomna hosny oh that sounds promising :) I'll see where I can find "to catch an heiress" and I'll keep you posted :)
thank you so much..

Aliaa El-Nashar Yomna wrote: "oh that sounds promising :) I'll see where I can find "to catch an heiress" and I'll keep you posted :)
thank you so much.."

Awesome :D
I actually used to buy a book for her everytime I went into a bookstore and found one there, the rest were borrowed, but I have 7 books for her

message 11: by Yomna (new)

Yomna hosny She sounds great :D I can't wait