Canuck-in-Oz's Reviews > Explosive Eighteen

Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich

Sep 20, 2012

liked it
Read in September, 2012

Explosive Eighteen isn't really explosive but reading it is a fun way to spend a rainy afternoon with familiar friends and quirky new characters.

The Plum series has been hit-and-miss. It started strong and then lost its way. The formula is always the same: a fairly lame overarching storyline; a comedy of errors in trying to haul in bizarre bail jumpers; witty banter and screwball clumsiness; and, the never-ending love triangle of Plum/Morelli/Ranger. Each time the new Evanovich book comes out I have high hopes, and while I enjoy some aspects I generally end up feeling frustrated. Explosive Eighteen is better than some of the recent novels, but in no way does it live up to the earliest instalments.

For me, the biggest problem with the series is that the characters have never really evolved. It has been 18 years since One for the Money and Evanovich has brought out a new Plum novel every year since then. Stephanie hasn't matured at all in that time and hasn't gained any skills as a bounty hunter. Everyone else is caught in the same time warp. Steph to grow up, make decisions about her life, and allow the series to take on another dimension. Evanovich has many talents as a writer, and if she frees herself up from the write-by-numbers model she may regain the followers that have left her and find many more new readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Explosive Eighteen.