Jennifer's Reviews > Fear of Flying

Fear of Flying by Erica Jong

Jun 09, 2016

bookshelves: literature
Read in January, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear of Flying.

03/03 marked as: read

Spider the Doof Warrior I agree. That woman failed at men... She picked terrible men. I hope I do a better job picking guys than she did. Ew.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen If you think enjoying it when a guy grabs your ass is anti-feminist, I kind of feel sorry for you. Life is not as binary as most of us would like it to be.
I agree with your conclusion, though - life is too short to finish books you don't enjoy.

Spider the Doof Warrior Well, if it was one's husband or a trusted lover. Not so much a perfect stranger walking up to a woman going SQUEEZE

That is harassment.

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Point taken. You're right about that.

Michaele I had the exact same reaction- except I finished it but only because I had to for school. I really don't understand why people like this book so much.

Richard You are certainly entitled to your opinions. I liked this book, but that's perfectly fine that you didn't. To each their own. However, I have to take offense to one part of your review; the narrator is 29 and Adrian, the man she has an affair with, is 36. He is in no way old, except perhaps to a teenager. Are you a teenager?

Pete Wyeth Thank you for expressing everything I feel about this book. What a load of rubbish. This woman struts about acting like a whore, selfishly diving from man to man because she doesn't know what she wants. I really hope that women put more thought into their sexual endeavours than this woman.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for sexual liberation but if a man acted in this way you'd think he was a tosser... and rightly so.

Richard The best way to let everyone know you're all for sexual liberation is to call a sexually liberated woman a whore.

Pete Wyeth There is a difference between being sexually liberated and acting like a whore.

Richard Acting like a whore involves charging, which I don't recall her doing.

message 11: by Liz (new) - rated it 1 star

Liz I agree, I'm at Chapter 7 and have been forcing myself to finish this book since 7 days ago, but I just cant.

Jessica Being taken from behind is very feminist. Knowing yourself and being open sexually is feminist. Just depends on which wave you espouse to.