Jennifer March's Reviews > Fear of Flying

Fear of Flying by Erica Jong

Jan 14, 09

bookshelves: literature
Read in January, 2009

At first, I found FEAR OF FLYING hilarious. She talks nonstop about sex and analysis, dropping the F bomb like there's no tomorrow, espousing this funny social commentary about life and marriage, a quasi-feminist rant (very feminist for 1973), yet she loves it when men grab her behind (not feminist anyway you slice it). I was started reading it because it was the IT book in 1973. My mom, who would not normally read something like this, for example, read it. She HAD to read it. EVERYONE read it--and so did I, until about chapter 4, when I got really tired of the banter and disgusted by the sexual conquest ensuing between the protagonist and a old, out of shape, sunburnt, pompous ass. And as much as I wanted to like this book and finish it, I just couldn't read any more. So at that point, I read the summary at the end by Henry Miller, found out what happened in the end, and returned the book to the library, following my new mantra: Life is too short to finish books I don't like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear of Flying.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Synesthesia I agree. That woman failed at men... She picked terrible men. I hope I do a better job picking guys than she did. Ew.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen If you think enjoying it when a guy grabs your ass is anti-feminist, I kind of feel sorry for you. Life is not as binary as most of us would like it to be.
I agree with your conclusion, though - life is too short to finish books you don't enjoy.

Synesthesia Well, if it was one's husband or a trusted lover. Not so much a perfect stranger walking up to a woman going SQUEEZE

That is harassment.

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Point taken. You're right about that.

Michaele I had the exact same reaction- except I finished it but only because I had to for school. I really don't understand why people like this book so much.

Richard You are certainly entitled to your opinions. I liked this book, but that's perfectly fine that you didn't. To each their own. However, I have to take offense to one part of your review; the narrator is 29 and Adrian, the man she has an affair with, is 36. He is in no way old, except perhaps to a teenager. Are you a teenager?

Pete Wyeth Thank you for expressing everything I feel about this book. What a load of rubbish. This woman struts about acting like a whore, selfishly diving from man to man because she doesn't know what she wants. I really hope that women put more thought into their sexual endeavours than this woman.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for sexual liberation but if a man acted in this way you'd think he was a tosser... and rightly so.

Richard The best way to let everyone know you're all for sexual liberation is to call a sexually liberated woman a whore.

Pete Wyeth There is a difference between being sexually liberated and acting like a whore.

Richard Acting like a whore involves charging, which I don't recall her doing.

message 11: by Liz (new) - rated it 1 star

Liz I agree, I'm at Chapter 7 and have been forcing myself to finish this book since 7 days ago, but I just cant.

Jessica Being taken from behind is very feminist. Knowing yourself and being open sexually is feminist. Just depends on which wave you espouse to.