Laura's Reviews > The Last Gift of Time: Life Beyond Sixty

The Last Gift of Time by Carolyn G. Heilbrun

Nov 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012-mt-bookpile, old-reads
Read in November, 2012

This was recommended to me by a F/friend as we talked about aging and facing the end of one's life. She'd read it and thought that I might appreciate Heilbrun's take on the matter.

For the most part, I did. Her journey from wearing what I'd call Junior League outfits to comfortable pants and shoes mimicked her journey towards accepting who and what she was and becoming more and more comfortable in her own skin. I enjoyed those parts, as well as how she talks about being a solitary person. That very much resonated with me. There was also a jolt of recognition about people you've never met but who you just know that you'd be good friends with. Her story about finding her father's family also rang true for me, as I know very little about my paternal and maternal grandfather's families.

What I didn't like were the many (I felt) self-serving comments about her relationships with people like May Sarton. At moments like those, or when she talked about her trailblazing in certain ways, I got a little annoyed. But, of course, YMMV.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Gift of Time.