Stephanie's Reviews > Love is a Mix Tape

Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield

Mar 01, 09

bookshelves: read-in-2009, i-own-read, loaned-out, biographies-and-memoirs, nonfiction
Recommended for: Leah
Read in February, 2009

I dare you to try and not like this book. I guarantee you'll fail. This book is a beautifully crafted mix of everything. It's about music, yeah. There's talk of some pretty sweet tunes in there and anyone who grew up in the 80's and 90's knows the significance of the mix tape. The book is also one of the greatest unconventional love stories I've ever read.

Reading Love Is a Mix Tape is like listening in on the soundtrack to Rob Sheffield's life. He takes you through the music of his youth, failed first loves, and then "The One." He meets and marries Renee, and writes about the whole process in such a way that the reader falls in love with her too. This book is also, finally, about grief. After five years of marriage, Renee dies without warning and Rob is left to try and remember how to do things without her.

This book made me nostalgic, it made me laugh, and it made me sad. A book that can toy that thoroughly with your emotions is definitely worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love is a Mix Tape.