Natalie's Reviews > Drama

Drama by Raina Telgemeier

Oct 03, 12

bookshelves: cute-romance, graphic-novel, middle-grade, my-bookshelf, ya
Read on September 20, 2012

Ever since she saw the musical Les Miserables when she was a kid, Callie has been obsessed with the theatre! If it wasn’t for the fact that she has a terrible singing voice, she would be auditioning to take the lead role in her school production of Moon Over Mississippi. Instead, Callie is more then happy to be placed in charge of the musical’s set design, and quickly puts her artistic skills to work. What Callie doesn’t expect, however, is for her school musical to be filled with a whopping amount of drama both onstage and offstage! From broken hearts to newfound friendships, Drama by Raina Telgemeier has it all!

As a theatre geek and former stage/prop manager for all of my high school’s drama productions, I found myself instantly falling for this adorable graphic novel! The illustrations were bright and fun, the story was addicting, and I found it almost impossible to put down! I especially loved the fact that the story focused not on the children taking the lead roles in the school play, but the backstage crew. When it comes to theatrical productions, it’s usually the actors who steal all the glory, leaving the stage crew in some dark forgotten corner. By focusing her story on the kids working backstage, therefore, Telgemeier ingeniously turns the spot light on a cast of unique and loveable characters.

Another great thing about Drama was the fact that it also dealt with many issues facing middle grade students on a daily basis. From having your heart broken by a boy, to dealing with shyness, or questioning your sexuality, readers can easily find aspects of Drama that relates to their own school life. Through characters such as Callie, Telgemeier inspires readers to embrace their own unique personality and not be afraid to be different. Quoting my fellow blogger Chelsey in her review of Drama: “Of all the topics covered in this book and all the lessons learned, the most important is this: it’s not just okay to be you. It’s wonderful to be you!”

In the end Drama was as cute, adorable, and addicting as I first anticipated, and I would definitely recommend it to all middle grade and high school teens! After finishing Drama, Raina Telgemeier has instantly become one of my favourite graphic novelists, and I can’t wait to see what she comes up with next! My only hope is that at some point in her writing career she will pick up Callie’s story where she left off, because I want some more Drama in my life!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drama.