LordofDorkness's Reviews > Weaveworld

Weaveworld by Clive Barker

Sep 24, 12

Read from September 20 to 24, 2012

This book really had me until about 1/2 way in. I enjoyed all the characters, especially the evil bastards like Shadwell and Imaculada but it just goes bloody on and on. Maybe I just tried to read it too quickly, but 3/4 through, I'm like oh god, can't find reason to go on. I have to say I like Clive Barker's style, and that this is a well written book. Lots of great dark fantasy and horror stuff here. Yes, it's got some gore, but its no worse than the sort of thing you'd see in a Stephen King novel. But it's just like, and this happened, and this happened and this happened, and none of it has any strong relation to the other events (as in this happened because this happened, like in a classic plot) and none the events are very interesting either (like, randomness can be fine, as long as it's entertaining.)

If I could look past my own boredom at reading it, I'd probably give it a four. For the quality of its writing, it deserves it. But it's just killing me. Jesus Lord, I need more goddamn drama man.

So all that probably says more about me than the book. It's a good book. It's not as bad as I view it, so read it if you like Dark Fantasy, Horror, evil fairyland stuff. I recommend it. But I stand by the comments about its dragging once you get most of the way through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Weaveworld.