Genny's Reviews > Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Sep 26, 12

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult
Read from September 20 to 25, 2012

There is very little YA out there written for and about young men. So, in that aspect this is a good book to have out there. A coming of age, figuring out who you are (not who your parents want you to be).

But I just found this book slow. The characters were pretty bland, though it seems the author wanted them to have more depth, more mystery. That just did not come across. The overall story arcs were pretty predictable, and could be seen coming a mile away.

And even though the story ended happily, there were too many loose secondary story lines just left hanging to feel truly complete. No, not ever secondary story line is going to wrap up nice and neat...but they were all just sort of left hanging out there...

I found myself skimming through the last 100 pages or so, just to finish the book before book club this weekend, not because I was so engrossed in the story that I could not put it down.
So, while not a bad book, not one I could really recommend or one that I will be looking to add to my collection.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.