Becky's Reviews > Graceling

bookshelves: fantasy, 2009, reviewed
Recommended to Becky by: Allison
Recommended for: Everyone.
Read in October, 2009

I have to say that I loved this book. Once I started reading, I could barely put it down. The characters were fun and real, or as real as they could be in a world where extraordinary and almost supernatural talents are, maybe a little less than common, but not unusual. This is definitely fantasy, and the characters were fantastic, but still realistic.

Katsa was such a wonderful character. Graced with the ability to fight and kill with ease, she is used as a weapon and Royal Leg-Breaker by the King whenever he felt that someone just wasn't fawning over him with the right level of doe-eyedness. But there is more to her than that. Despite being trained and practically raised to violence, she has a sense of justice and right and wrong that is commendable.

And then there's Po... Hmm. I loved Po's character. He's mysterious, charming, interesting and fun, badass and sweet, humble but cocky, brilliant... I'll stop now before this review starts to sound like a cheesy 80's rock ballad or something. But really. I loved him. And he has kick-ass eyes. :)

I will say that I wish that the antagonist's evil was more concrete, but that's a very little nitpick. There was so much I loved about this book that it easily outweighs just this one little thing.

I loved that Katsa grew into herself, not only in her skill and Grace, but as a person and woman. She is self-assured, independent and strong, which is an excellent role-model for young girls.

I loved that Po was able and more than willing to let Katsa be herself without trying to own or control her, and without asking her to compromise herself for him.

I loved the subtle feminist message in the book, and how Katsa isn't unprepared in matters of birth control. Good thing Randa thought to teach Sex-Ed in his kingdom, eh? ;)

I also loved the little homage to Jane Eyre at the end. Perhaps it wasn't meant that way, but it certainly reminded me of it.

I really could go on and on about what I loved about this book, but I won't. You should just read it yourself. :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

10/04 page 1
05/27 marked as: read
show 3 hidden updates…

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-15 of 15) </span> <span class="smallText">(15 new)</span>

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I really want to read this one and its really sad how long it has been on my shelf. Hope you like it!

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Do you like it? Allison might fry you if you don't!

Jackie Oh no...this is going to be like another Outlander. lol.

JG (The Introverted Reader) Hopefully you'll like this one better than your last! I did, but considering that I actually liked Dissolution, I don't know if that means anything. ;)

Allison (The Allure of Books) oh now, this is just like the bridge to get to the point where she actually starts Kushiel's Dart :P

Becky Well... I started it 4 hours ago, and I'm just about halfway. Considering that 387pg Dissolution took me 6 days, I think it's safe to say I'm enjoying this one. :D

Allison (The Allure of Books) I still think I should get credit for pushing it.

*waits for it to appear in my shelf*

Becky Allison wrote: "I still think I should get credit for pushing it.

*waits for it to appear in my shelf*"

Hahahahahaha!

Heather Becky wrote: I'll stop now before this review starts to sound like a cheesy 80's rock ballad or something.

Hey...nothing wrong with those cheesy 80's rock ballads! I danced many a high school slow dance to some of those.

*starts singing "Amanda" by Boston*

LOL :)

Becky *whispers* I secretly love them... and pretty much all 80's hair band music. Don't tell anyone. ;)

Heather Your secret is safe with me ;)

I still listen that stuff...can't help myself. Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Guns N Roses, Scorpions, Motley Crue, Dokken....I love those guys! And that's just the tip of the iceberg :)

message 12: by Felina (new) - added it

Felina Oh man...even though those bands were a little before my generation they are still the best. You don't have to secretly love them. I openly love them and get made fun of all the time. Its the best music so I don't care.

*belts out 'Don't Stop Believing' by Journey in the middle of the office*

Anyways, this book looked really good but since Becky likes it I'll have to move it up the list.

Becky Yes, you should. It was REALLY good. I can't stop thinking about it today. I wish it was longer!

Trudi Yes! the Jane Eyre twist ... I would love to know for certain if that's what Cashore had in mind. I think it's highly probable. In so many ways, Graceling is such a delightful inversion of established romance conventions that it seems a fitting choice to take a singular element of one of the greatest love stories ever told and add it here (a homage if you will). It works wonderfully in this story's context and does not feel forced or gimmicky in the least.

Becky Trudi wrote: "Yes! the Jane Eyre twist ... I would love to know for certain if that's what Cashore had in mind. I think it's highly probable. In so many ways, Graceling is such a delightful inversion of establis..."

Trudi, I just saw this comment! *crosses fingers for on-site comment notifications soon!*
Maybe if one of us ever meets her (it's possible, she lives in Jacksonville, Florida, which is where I used to live... Hmmmmm... LOL) we should ask. I think it probably was a little homage. I really like thinking so. :D