D. Eric's Reviews > The Darkness That Comes Before

Jan 04, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in October, 2008

This is actually a three/four star book--see my review following:

The first book of "The Prince of Nothing" trilogy, "The Darkness that Comes Before" is a fantasy take on the Crusades, though set in a fantasy world all its own. It is a bit tough to follow sometimes, mainly because of all the foreign names of people, places, and religions/schools of magic. In fact, if you have the opportunity, it would help to read the first page and a quarter of "What Has Gone Before" from "The Warrior Prophet," the second book of the trilogy (but stop there unless you want to spoil the first book).

Once past the early difficulties, Bakker sets up sophisticated plot lines that beg the reader to continue through the first book and into the second, though I took a two month break between them simply to digest the weight of the first book. It is not 'easy reading,' but it is certainly worth the effort. Although a fantsy, the 'magic-level' is fairly low though it makes much reference to sorcerers and schools of magic. However, do not be fooled by this (that's a teasing hint about the second book) as things promise to pick up as the series continues.

The only reason I limit my rating to three stars lays in the somewhat confusing items listed above. It took a while to really figure out what was going on, but once you get there, the rating easily moves up to four stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkness That Comes Before.