Jane's Reviews > How to Be a Woman

How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

F_50x66
Sep 20, 12

Read in September, 2012

I think I enjoyed this book. A lot. I was surprised because when I have heard Caitlin Moran interviewed she doesn't seem...ummm...how do I put this, very smart. The book was a very quick read but she managed to make so many excellent points and I think it would be a great book for a teenager who was just discovering feminism. I also laughed out loud. A lot. That being said, many of her points were flippant and down-played many serious issues (equality in the workplace; poverty that largely affects single mothers etc not to mention violence and rape or even the situation of women in developing or non-Western countries). Yes, this book was promoted as being light-hearted but then it does go to great lengths to discuss serious issues and wants to be taken seriously in many parts. So I don't think she can explain away her flippancy or glibness at many serious issues affecting women ("let's just be polite to each other"; "just laugh at the men") by saying she was just joking or trying to lighten the mood. Her dismissal or complete avoidance of many of the serious issues that affect women (particularly under-privileged women) seemed to come from a place of great privilege (ie: non-single mother; steady job; apparently good income; great work opportunities etc). So while I enjoyed the book, I did get frustrated with the whole "Let's all just be polite to each other and have a good laugh while we are at it" mantra. At one point at the end she even goes so far to suggest that in the Western world women can do anything and all opportunities are available to them...grrrrr.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be a Woman.