Diana's Reviews > Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz

Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz by L. Frank Baum

Jan 04, 2009

liked it
Read in February, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Didn't like this one as much as the first three - and definitely not as much as The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (the first) and Ozma of Oz (the 3rd). Although I did like the fact that Dorothy serves as a kind of guide for Zeb to have his own adventure and is her usual matter-of-fact, not easily flustered self, which inspires Zeb to see the whole thing as an adventure of a lifetime, I wasn't thrilled with the series of challenges they all encountered. I'm not sure if it was the presence of the Wizard in this one, who, frankly, sounded a bit patronizing at times, but there were elements that didn't sit well with me.

It took me longer to read this story than the first three combined, which says something right there. I didn't find it as engaging. It wasn't until the end of the book, when Dorothy finds her optimistic outlook again (after having gotten a bit discouraged that they'd never get out of the constant climbing from the center of the earth) and communicates with Ozma that the story picked up some interest for me. I also wasn't thrilled with the personality that Baum gave Eureka the kitten - although I do have to say that her reasoning for not defending herself against accusations of killing and eating Ozma's pet piglet had me chuckling. Eureka had a stubborn streak and was miffed that they automatically assumed the worst of her.

The different challenges and variety of "beings" they encountered after their tumble into the center of the earth after being caught in an earthquake in California weren't quite as interesting as the adventures in the first three books. I did like Jim the cab horse, but I wasn't thrilled with the way the Wizard and Zeb (and Dorothy, too, at times) often treated him - although he was their salvation many times, they didn't seem to have a lot of respect for him and simply expected him to pull their belongings and the buggy, without ever thinking that he deserved better treatment. All in all, not as satisfactory a story as the previous three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz.