Kat Heckenbach's Reviews > Enshadowed

Enshadowed by Kelly Creagh

Sep 19, 12

I fell in LOVE with the first book of this series, Nevermore. I pre-ordered Enshadowed and waited rather impatiently for its release.

I loved the way the story opened. Loved how much deeper Isobel's character had become.

But the story missed something: Varen. I get that the point of this story is her trying to get back to him after he is trapped in the dream world in Nevermore. And when you get to the end, you can see why he's so scarce. But it really frustrated me. I found myself drawing away from the story as I became more impatient waiting for him to show up as something more than a reflection.

Truthfully, what kept me going was Gwen. Her character made this book worth reading. She's a perfect foil to Isobel's somberness. The problem I had, though, with her being so strong--it made Isobel seem weak, and it only got worse as the book continued. Don't get me wrong--I have to give major props to Creagh for making me care about reading a story with a cheerleader as the MC in the first place. I cannot relate to the cheerleader/popular mindset at all. I would have been more likely to be found among Varen's crowd. So the fact that Creagh made me connect so strongly to Isobel too says a lot. But it was like one step forward, two steps back in this book.

Now let me address the ending. I know a lot of the negative reviews mention being disappointed by the ending. I can't say that. I'm fine with endings that aren't "happily ever after." But I do agree that the book took too long to get there. This did feel like the story was being stretched out. This really should have been a two-book series. I'll read the third one--with high hopes that Varen is back in the spotlight because I love Creagh's writing and I do still care about the story. It is her writing, too, that put this review to a 4-star, as I'd rate that a five (description and characterization skills), but give the plot a three.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enshadowed.