Bettie☯'s Reviews > Lion of Ireland

Lion of Ireland by Morgan Llywelyn

For all those I initially sent out recommendations to, disregard. Am on the last knockings and for Ireland would say that Rutherfurd's offerings are far, far superior. This was more a young adult thing.

St Patrick's Day 2012

Opening: The little boy sat on the crown of a rocky hill, his thin arms hugging his scabby knees. He tilted his head and gazed up into the immense vault of the sky, feeling wonderfully alone.

From wiki - The Fomoire (or Fomorians) are a semi-divine race said to have inhabited Ireland in ancient times. They are sometimes said to have had the body of a man and the head of a goat, according to an 11th century text in Lebor na hUidre (the Book of the Dun Cow), or to have had one eye, one arm and one leg, but some, for example Elatha, the father of Bres, were very beautiful. Bres himself carries the epithet "the Beautiful."

Now I will send a Plopp™ to anyone who can remember which of my books state that these African pirates were actually the diaspora from Amarna. One of those Lawrence books methinks. In that book it tells of the crowning stone going up to Ireland and into Scotland where there was a replacement in the form of the Scone stone. Myths and conspiracy theories - got to love 'em.

2 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lion of Ireland.

03/15/2012 " a Bratt is a rectangular piece of cloth usead as blanket or, with brooch, a cloak"
03/15/2012 "Brigid's Cloak is told of through stories and traditions as being a cloak that covers all of the earth, covers sacred places, protects us as clothing, as a small cloth to hang to honour Brigid, down to being a small clutie offering on a tree beside a well."
03/15/2012 " Filidh's were the storytellers and keepers of the sacred order within ancient Celtic tribes, the living memory banks of an oral culture"
03/15/2012 " In Irish mythology the Fir Bolg (Fir Bholg, Firbolg) were one of the races that inhabited the island of Ireland prior to the arrival of the Tuatha Dé Danann."
03/15/2012 page 202
35.0% "Leaving it at this point until tomorrow."

message 1: by Wanda (new)

Wanda Little boys always have scabby knees.

message 2: by Pat (new)

Pat Aye, thanks for the update.

message 3: by Pat (new)

Pat Thanks, Laura. I'm going to check it out.

Bettie☯ Rutherford's book is just a historical compilation of historical facts

perhaps that is what I like best - just the facts ma'am, because Rutherfurd was really shit hot and I couldn't get enough.

message 5: by Bettie☯ (last edited Mar 18, 2012 11:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bettie☯ 4* - The Princes of Ireland (The Dublin Saga, #1)
4* - The Rebels of Ireland (The Dublin Saga, #2)

historical facts without even bothering to make any kind of connection between them.

Humbug! The difference between fantasy history and historical fiction is that one doesn't need so much artifice

message 6: by Bettie☯ (last edited Mar 18, 2012 09:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "You should try Trinity by leon Uris which was recommended by an Irish author. Rutherford's book is just a historical compilation of historical facts without even bothering to make any kind of conne..."

Trinity does not even cover the same time period in question! How could you possibly recommend that as an alternative!? 900 v 1900 does not compute. :O)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Hmm. Will try the Rutherford, then, if I run into it.

Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "Hmm. Will try the Rutherford, then, if I run into it."

Don't run into it, it's a brick.

#1 776 pages
#2 896 pages

Far better fayre for those whose emphasis is on 'historical' rather than 'fiction'.