Sarina's Reviews > Golden

Golden by Jessi Kirby

Jul 19, 13

Originally posted at From Covers to Covers: http://fromcoverstocovers.blogspot.ca...

"Tell me, what do you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

This quote was mentioned many times during this novel and every time I found myself admiring the quote. That and "sometimes we meet our destiny on the road we take to avoid it". As you can most probably already tell, this books was beautifully written and incredibly good. It's a story within a story about a girl, Parker Frost, who has always lived her life the way her mother envisioned it. Being class valedictorian and a candidate for a full ride scholarship to Berkeley, she has had a safe, boring life. Until she falls upon a journal of a dead resident of her town, who happened to be the perfect girl. Julianna had a perfect life that was ended way too soon, and Parker takes a chance and reads her journal. From that point on, her life was never the same.

When I first looked at the book, I thought that it wouldn't be possible to be that great because it looked like a really thin book. And it was, but Jessi Kirby wrote the story so well that the length was perfect to encompass the story. Her writing was easy to understand and like I said above, beautiful. There were so many words that made me think which always shows how well written a novel is. When an author can make you consider their words.

There were multiple love stories in this book but that of the main character wasn't the main one, surprisingly. Though it was nice to read, it was light. The story within the main one was the one that entertained me. It was sorta predictable, but I love the direction it took.

This book was a summer delight. Being both deep and light, the story will keep you entertained, and you will have no trouble getting into this one. I haven't read any other novels by Kirby, but I definitely plan on catching up after this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Golden.

07/13/2013 marked as: read