Meghan Mcmanis's Reviews > Freak the Mighty

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

Oct 02, 12

Freak the Mighty was introduced to me when I was in 6th grade in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. I remember this book so closely because I felt like I could relate to the character in the book. I know there are children out there who can relate to Freak and Maxwell. This story shows how a cherished friendship can start up, and also touches on bullying. I think this is a great book to introduce in my classroom because it focuses on bullying and friendships. It teaches you that appearance doesn't matter, it is whats inside that counts. The story has a pretty sad ending, but it is one of my all time favorite books. The best part of the book is when Max actually approaches Freak and Freak is scared and gets upset because he actually doesn't know how to react to someone trying to be his friend because he is so used to being picked on. This book is also good for my class because the characters in the book are actually their age.

Philbrick, W. R.. Freak the Mighty. New York, N.Y.: Blue Sky Press, 1993. Print.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freak the Mighty.