Rebecca's Reviews > Walden & Civil Disobedience

Jul 07, 13

bookshelves: classics, read-in-2013, nature, creative-nonfiction
Read from May 27 to July 07, 2013 — I own a copy

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walden & Civil Disobedience.

05/27/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/01/2013 page 108
25.0% "I'm pretty sure I say this every time I start Walden again: good god, Henry David Thoreau is as opinionated a man as I have ever seen. It's kind of amusing to see how stodgy he is while also being sort of inspired by what he's saying. But this is a slow read and I'm trying to pace myself."
06/12/2013 page 201
46.0% "Deciding to finally read Walden all the way through is sort of like re-committing to a boyfriend you've broken up with many times, and this time you've married him, you dumb fool, but you know that so long as you don't give up and take it day by day (page by page), you will make it to the end (or die trying). Or something like that. I'm a little less enthralled with Walden now that I'm 31, but maybe more amused."
06/18/2013 page 248
57.0% "If only the rest of Walden was as cranky as the first bit! I was annoyed and now I'm often bored. I get it. I get why this is a classic. It's still irritating me, though (e.g. a whole chapter on the ponds? Ugh!)."
07/05/2013 page 303
70.0% "Oh god. I can do this. Just another 79 pages until I'm done with Walden. Sometimes it feels like I'm dragging a dead body 26 miles to a finish line. Like I'm weekending at Bernie's. Other times, I'm so delighted at how full of shit Thoreau is, or how clever, how cantankerous, how smart. I can never predict what I'll get in each chapter."
07/07/2013 page 385
89.0% "Oh god. Somehow, I've finished Walden. This book is wildly uneven. The parts I loved (e.g. the conclusion), I loved a lot. I love his crankiness, I'm annoyed by his crankiness, but I'm awake for it I can't say the same for the nature parts. The pacing is off--so much summer and early fall, and winter seems relatively short, but the way Thoreau welcomes Spring, you'd think he was a Muscovite. Hmm. Now, Civil D.!"
07/07/2013 page 431
99.0% "I'm on board with much of "Civil Disobedience" and if it were not for the things I believe government should do--chiefly among them force citizens to give each other the respect and rights due to them (e.g. civil rights)--I would likely use this as my bible for Libertarianism. But I'm not a Libertarian and I do believe in the good of government. Anyway, fascinating, glad I read all of it, but not soon again."
07/07/2013 marked as: read