Michelle's Reviews > Peony in Love

Peony in Love by Lisa See

Jan 04, 09

bookshelves: bookclub, historicalfiction
Read in January, 2009

From the start we are given an elegant view into the lives of women during seventeenth-century China. Peony is from a noble family and is kept hidden from the world around her. She is educated and very emotional, which worries her mother. Her mother wants her to become a good wife, but all Peony can think of is that she is being handed over to a strange family through marriage. For her sixteenth birthday, Peony's father puts on a production of the opera, The Peony Pavilion, which changes her life forever. We then follow Peony on the journey through her young death, and extensive afterlife and she how she and others change in the afterlife.

The world that Lisa See created was beautiful. Through her writing, we are transported to another time and place. See most definitely did her research and it shows. However, I still found the novel predictable and lagging at times. I also found some of the choices that Peony made to be strange, but I admit that may be a cultural difference. Overall, this is a good novel that was well written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peony in Love.