Judy's Reviews > The Probable Future

The Probable Future by Alice Hoffman

Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: female-author, my-2012-books
Recommended to Judy by: dolphinwriter
Recommended for: lovers of urban magic
Read from March 21 to April 01, 2012 , read count: 1

Finally I got around to reading this book. The copy came to me in 2008. I loved the story, the characters, the family histories, the old house, the lake, the roses and old trees, the evocative prose....everything that often is found in an Alice Hoffman novel. I found this book to have themes similar to those in Practical Magic. I felt like I could smell the lake and the old damp house. Even the food descriptions in this book made me taste or imagine...was it 9-Frog Soup? I enjoyed the stories about the women and the men they should not have chosen but felt incapable of not choosing. Life is so like that, we make so many wrong or late moves. Hoffman worked her magic, and so many surprising things took place, and I was left feeling full pleased and satisfied. Big thank you to dolphinwriter for sharing this with me! If I could write stories, I would want them to read like an Alice Hoffman story.

I recently also finished "The Ice Queen" by Hoffman, and really enjoyed that one as well. It's not at all full of the same kind of magic that fills her other stories. Lots of sadness, depression, and loneliness, but I still thoroughly loved the magical prose and fanciful ideas.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Probable Future.