Jeannie and Louis Rigod's Reviews > The Beautiful Mystery

The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny

Sep 20, 12

Read from September 19 to 20, 2012

As a former soprano in my church choir, I often would be required to sing 'plainsong.' We were an Episcopalian church and only used this form of 'prayer' for high church days. In this novel we are treated to the history and yes, romance of plainchant or better known as Gregorian chants.

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his second, Inspector Jean-Guy Beauvoir of the Surete du Quebec are called to duty at a remote Monastery. The Abbot has opened the gate to allow the police in when the Prior and Choirmaster is found murdered.

This story weaves around the vow of silence, secrets held within and more. As the story progresses you realize the tale is not just about the monks, but the relationship of Armand and Jean Guy.

I found myself allowing my mind to savor the rich descriptions of the plainchant as Ms. Penny's paints a picture with her words. The murder was central but right next to it was the 'neumes.' A delicate waltz was danced between the Abbot and Gamache as step by step the hidden secrets became unveiled.

This novel was amazing. I was enthralled with the location, story line, and personal relationships of the characters. For over the past seven novels I have grown to know and feel affection for the two men of the Surete. This novel threw a spanner in the works of that relationship and I find I am invested in wanting to see the outcome. Also I want chocolate covered blueberries.

This series just gets more depth and color as it grows. A wonderful novel to read.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beautiful Mystery.

09/19/2012 page 40

message 1: by Yves (new)

Yves Fey You make it sound wonderful. I'm following the series, but am about 2 behind because I've got such a pile.

Patry Excellent review. Thank you!