Brent's Reviews > Fablehaven

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

M 50x66
Sep 19, 12

A pleasant and satisfying fantasy about magical creatures living on a secret preserve. I loved the idea that the uninitiated see the magical creatures as something more mundane. The dawning realization of siblings Kendra and Seth Sorenson that their grandparents' house and the area around it hold more than meets the natural eye is particularly well-handled.

Things I appreciated:
• Actions have consequences. This is a dominant theme throughout the series and a large part of my enjoyment. You use magic, you open yourself to magic being used against you. You kill, you open yourself to being killed. Every choice has an impact.
• Characters are realistically flawed. The central brother and sister act as real siblings might. They argue and fight, but also love each other.
• The threat is thrillingly fearsome, with danger unbeatable right up until the exciting climax.

Things that I didn't appreciate:
• The homework-style discussion questions at the end of the book. Is this common amongst kid-lit books?
• Kendra and Seth's parents are a complete non-factor. I thought that they were a wasted opportunity.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fablehaven.