Katie's Reviews > Wicked Ties

Sep 19, 12

did not like it
bookshelves: romance
Read on September 19, 2012

I am having trouble finding the words to express how much I hated this book. I knew that this was basically supposed to be a sexy book and not great literature, but even by those standards, it failed. How could a book with this much sex manage to be so boring?

Morgan: I have never wanted to get out of a character's head this badly before. The constant, repetitive inner monologues about whether her relationship with Jack was a good idea or not and whether it made her a whore or whatever were *killing* me, especially after she had already had sex with him a few times - she really didn't have so much at stake at that point that it should have been quite such an agonizing decision each. and. every. time. he put a hand on her. Also, nothing throws cold water on a hot scene like a character going on and on about what their mother would think of it. This sexually repressed woman supposedly talks about sex on TV for a living?

Jack: What an ass. Being inside his head was no picnic either. Totally manipulative, and I really didn't see a whole lot on the positive side to redeem him. He wasn't even a very good bodyguard. He spent way to much time in angst-filled inner monologues too, to the point where it seemed like it would be noticeable if you were in the room with him; like someone would ask him a question and he'd be sitting there staring off into space for 10 minutes trying to sort out his thoughts (the SAME thoughts every time of course) and I'd picture the other character patiently waiting for an answer and maybe glancing at their watch.

The sex scenes might have been good if the characters had just stopped thinking so much and gotten into it (if you are thinking about your mom and your past relationships how into it can you be?) and the D/S sexual discovery theme actually had some interesting ground to cover but was lopsided - way overdeveloped on some ways and underdeveloped on others and of course repetitive as hell. The love relationship seemed unconvincing - I definitely got that they were sexually compatible, and that's great, but after 3 days of fucking and fighting they are in love with a capital L? Even better, they couldn't possibly know this without fulfilling every single fantasy she has ever had in one weekend? I totally get that in order to fit 50 sex scenes into a book you have to take some serious liberties with the plot (and this one is paper thin) but this one just had me rolling my eyes. "The woman in the dream had red hair? OMG what a coincidence - Morgan has red hair! If she has red hair, she must be the woman in the dream!" Ack - I wanted to hurl this one across the room.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Ties.

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited Nov 09, 2014 06:36AM) (new)

Elizabeth I think we're the only two people on GR who thoroughly disliked this book. I too found the sex scenes boring, hampered by S. Black's bad habit of dumping on both story and reader tons of reminiscences of past relationships, going through the mind of the heroine while she's having sex with the hero (Black uses this style in her terrible historicals too). Equally, the introduction of a third man in the main couple's sexual explorations, so early in their (supposed) relationship, was most unfortunate and damaged the feel of the book. For this kind of thing to work (and most of the time it doesn't, as it creates anxieties that the fantasy of a threesome does not and cannot account for) some form of solid trust between the partners would have to be established first. No such thing happened here. And if you add in the mix the fact that the 'suspense' plot was woeful and interfered with the pacing of the story, it is really surprising that so many liked this book. In my view, one star is already one star too many.

Katie I totally agree - the threesome seemed like a *really* bad idea, especially for a guy who was feeling insecure (and possessive) in a new relationship. Didn't seem like he was really looking out for her best interest or the best interest of the relationship at all. In terms of his possessiveness, I also didn't think it was very considerate of him to be exhibiting such stalker-esque behavior toward a woman who is already on the run from a stalker - it seemed pretty abusive and opportunistic.

Of course, she is obviously more forgiving than I am - after all, in my mind, any guy who sent a video like that to my brother would be pretty much dead to me, regardless of his explanation.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kate wrote: "I totally agree - the threesome seemed like a *really* bad idea, especially for a guy who was feeling insecure (and possessive) in a new relationship. Didn't seem like he was really looking out for..."

Oh I forgot all about that tape, you're so right! Even worse than I remember.

message 4: by D. (new) - rated it 1 star

D. I loved your review.... I am 80% through with this one and I'm so fed up! I actually stopped reading a book to start this one, super lame but I must finish it. I will write my own review as soon as I'm done but I totally agree with what you're saying here.

Alicia I agree with you ladies! I was making fun of it more than enjoying anything by the end. Also, that repetitive writing... yikes.

Phillylady I agree with every single thing here. The inner monologues were SO REPETITIVE and the whole thing has just been so angsty and annoying. I hate both characters. Reading should not feel like a chore and this is definitely a chore.

message 7: by Rach (new)

Rach How did this book gets such high reviews?

message 8: by D. (new) - rated it 1 star