Susan's Reviews > To Catch A Vampire

To Catch A Vampire by Jennifer Harlow

Sep 19, 12

Read in August, 2012

Again, I have to echo my earlier review of the first book that the cover art does not do them justice. The books are more fun than that. Beatrice Alexander, the teacher turned special (supernatural) agent returns with her F.R.E.A.K. squad team of assorted misfits and monsters for another case. Like the first book in the series (Mind Over Monsters) the reader is treated to some actual police procedural elements along with the supernatural bits and it's not a bad combo. The second book takes a darker turn, with the deeply disturbing nature of the crimes as well as some revelations about Beatrice----and Oliver. Overall, this is a very good thing. Even though most of the squad is M.I.A. for most of the book while Beatrice goes on her vampy undercover assignment with Oliver, the payoff for the reader was getting to know these characters that much better. It also went a long way in cementing the growing love/sexual tension triangle in the series much more plausibly. Some shocking developments in this book also show that Harlow is not overly fussy about throwing even her major characters into real risk---even to the point of...well, I won't spoil it. Needless to say, if you want a fun, fast read Harlow remains a good bet. There is still a lot of momentum and surprises and I'm looking forward to reading the next installment. My only hope going forward in the series is that with some of the new dramatic developments that the humor doesn't end up gettting too lost along the way. Too much out there in supernatural fiction takes itself too seriously, and it's kind of refreshing to have a series where it feels like the characters have a sense of humor and aren't always about being tortured all the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Catch A Vampire.