kari's Reviews > Touched

2207055
Sep 19, 12

bookshelves: 2012, ya
Read in September, 2012

Wouldn't it be great if you could know the future? What a fabulous power, right? Not so fast. What if every one of the myriad decisions you made each day changed your future? Even something as small perhaps as which side of the street you walk down might change something. You might try, as Nick does, to stay "on script" in the hopes of holding onto a future that seems to be wonderful.
But, what if every time you changed something all the new possible futures ran constantly through your head? Life would be pretty rough and that is where this story starts.
Nick was born with the ability to see the future, his future. He gets glimpses of the distant future, but what is coming in the next few minutes are all that is clear to him. He has learned to deal with this as best he can and far better than his mother, who also sees the future, but spends her days alone in her room trying to block it all out or moaning from the pain of what they call "cycling" when the futures appear so fast that it causes a massive headache. Nick has been raised since birth by his loving grandmother, Nana.
All is going okay until Nick goes off script and things go from bad to worse to possibly the end of his life.
There are many different threads winding through the story and every one of them is tied up by the end. There wasn't anything left to which I thought, "hey, what about this? Or, "hmmm, she forgot about that."
The ending is beautifully done.
I'm glad Cyn Balog is still writing and sharing her stories with us.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touched.

message 1: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa I thought she quit? I should have known she wouldn't really.

kari She said she was quitting and I think for a bit she really did give up. Then she posted that she enjoyed writing and even though the bad comments hurt, still she decided she would keep going and try not to take everything so much to heart. I'm glad she did. I wouldn't like to think that any review of anyone's, mine included, would ever make someone stop doing something they love.

message 3: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa I'm glad she didn't quit either. It's what she loves and she has a lot of fans. The sad thing is part of being a good writer is being able to wear your heart on your sleeve to write authentic characters but then it works against you when you publish. Whenever I write a less-than-favorable review I think about the author reading it and then I have to put it out of my mind or I won't be honest.

kari Annalisa wrote: "I'm glad she didn't quit either. It's what she loves and she has a lot of fans. The sad thing is part of being a good writer is being able to wear your heart on your sleeve to write authentic chara..."

I know it is hard to do. I always try not to be personal, not to say some writer is an awful person or that they shouldn't write ever again or something like that. I think when it gets personal that is when it crosses a line, for me it does, anyway.