Judy's Reviews > Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why It Often Sucks in the City, or Who Are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me?

Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster

Jan 03, 09

I liked this book SO much more than Bitter is the New Black. In fact, I was reading it in the lobby of a resort hotel (I was beginning to feel confined in my room and on my balcony) when I came to a particularly funny part and began to laugh uncontrollably. Of course, I didn't want people to know that I was laughing over a book, so I tried to restrain myself. The result was that now the patrons walking by probably thought that I was having a seizure. To their credit, no one stopped to see if I needed help. Yes, Jen Lancaster can still be mean in this book, but the non-mean moments definitely outweigh the snotty comments. I mean how can you not like a book where she admits that she turned in one of her neighbors to Homeland Security because he was in and out of the house at odd hours and drove an ever changing series of expensive cars. Turns out he was a real estate agent with parents who owned a luxury car dealership. How can you not warm up to a woman in her late 30s who is under the complete control of two dogs that she saved from the pound and several cats--all of which have revolting habits. Not as good as Such a Pretty Fat, but better than Bitter is the New Black.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Lights, Big Ass.