Lawrence's Reviews > The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

M_50x66
Jan 03, 09

Read in December, 2008

I was very disappointed in this book. (1) None of the characters were developed. At the end, for example, there are chapters entitled "Trudy" as if the author realized he hadn't ever really accounted for what she might have been like --- other than as a card board cut out. The same goes for Claude who is a moving force of the story, but is given no history or motives. The ghosts and the prophetess/witch are nice to read about, but it doesn't seem that the supernatural is really meant to be what sets events in motion. The one really nicely drawn character is Henry and I never learn enough about him. (I think he would make the "hero" of a great novel.) (2) I think this book is too many things --- the story of a walkabout, a mystery book, a ghost story, an animal companion story, and a tragedy, too! It does not find its own place. (3) The author has a nice gift for metaphor and description of nature. But I felt it was too studied.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.