Nancy's Reviews > Love Anthony

Love Anthony by Lisa Genova

Sep 22, 12

Read in September, 2012

This one made me cry. I am not a crier. Given, I was sitting in ICU shortly after my husband had brain surgery so there may be a excuse. Or a correlation.

Lisa Genova possesses a brilliant resume. She is a scientist with many letters following her name. She must think pragmatically so I struggle to reconcile the other part of her, the one I forgot. Her beautiful writing style as she empathetically takes the reader through a neurological experience so profound and so emotional, I cried.

I haven't read Genova's Still Alice. I will. I read Left Neglected which was amazing and flawless. So I raved about the book to my friends. I love the way her titles have double meaning. This book was no exception. It can be read as Love, Anthony or Love Anthony. Anthony being on the far end of the PDD spectrum. Yet subtly, the book is also drawing similarities between Anthony who is autistic and Beth who is "normal." What is the purpose of each life? Was Anthony truly flawed? Was broken? Did he need to be fixed? Did he need to be understood? Or was Anthony perfect just the way he was? Was his purpose to learn or to teach?

So I must reiterate what I love about Genova's writing. Yes, she gives an accurate depiction of one Autistic boy. She provides a little neurological background in layman's terms. On the other hand, her brain can somehow possess the calculated mind of a scientist and the creativity of master artist in the medium of words.

It is so very blatantly a book club book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Anthony.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shirley (new)

Shirley I loved Still Alice so when I found Lisa Genova had a new book coming out I was thrilled! Thanks for a review that reinforces that desire!

Cynthia Dunn I hope your husband is doing okay.

Nancy Cynthia wrote: "I hope your husband is doing okay."
He's great, thank you! But bald.

Michele You will love Still Alice! It is one book I always recommend!