Shannon's Reviews > Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

Mr. Darcy's Decision by Juliette Shapiro

Jan 03, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: jane-austen
Read in January, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I've read A LOT of P&P spin-offs lately, and this one really bugged me. OK, not as much as the totally smutty ones, but it still bugged me.

First of all, the whole storlyine with Lydia and intrigue with Wickham is unbelievable. The timeline for Lady Catherine trying to ruin the Bennet's just doesn't work from the perspective of the original work. No one got that Darcy was that serious about Elizabeth until after Jane and Bingley were engaged. When would Lady Catherine have had time to set up the ruin of the Bennets, since Darcy and Elizabeth were just getting reacquainted as Elizabeth receives new of Lydia running off?

I found the friendship between Anne and Mary believable as far as their characters go, but not in light of the animosity Lady Catherine had for the Bennet family after Elizabeth and Darcy married.

The author plain disregards any details right at the end of P&P about what happens to the members of the family, particularly the Collinses, the Wickhams and Mary and Kitty. I'm sorry you can't reform Wickham just because you want to. The author also makes some other assumptions that just didn't sit well, like the visit between Mrs. Bennet and Lady Catherine. She made it seem like a jaunt next-door when, if I recall, this was a distance of over 50 miles in the days of horse and carriage--just unbelievable to me.

If you can totally disregard the personality of the characters and Austen's postscript about their futures, the writing isn't horrible; however, I can't stomach a book that goes this far away from the real thing? Did the author really read P&P or just watch the BBC version?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Darcy's Decision.