Rob's Reviews > The Keep

The Keep by F. Paul Wilson

Jan 03, 09

Read in August, 1986

I read this book when it was first published in the late 80's, I think. The setting was a castle in Romania during WW II. A group of Nazi soldiers unknowingly releases a monster who was imprisoned in the castle. Said monster starts to slaughter the soldiers. That's their punishment for ignoring the warnings of the Romanian Jew and his daughter who are taking care of the castle for the owner they have never met.
The scene moves to a distant wilderness where a red-headed stranger was alerted to the release of the monster by some unknown method. It is later made known that the stranger was the one who imprisoned the monster in the castle instead of killing it the first time they fought in the distant past. Thus the reader is made aware of the fact that this two adversaries are immortals.
This was the first F. Paul Wilson book I read and I became a life-long fan of his books ever since. He later expanded the story cycle by coming out with new books continuing the struggle between this two immortals. In fact, one of those books introduce another character, Repairman Jack.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Keep.