Nicole Bunge's Reviews > Blood Engines

Blood Engines by T.A. Pratt

Oct 03, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, speculative-fiction
Read from September 17 to 30, 2011, read count: 1

I really don't know how this ended up on my bookshelf. I think it was a "if you like..." recommendation by my paperbackswap account. (If someone else on here is the culprit, I owe you, because this book is damn good.)

I'm 150 pages in, it was just a 'grab for the weekend camping trip car ride' book. I got sucked in, hard.

Marla Mason is the chief sorcerer of Felport, but she's visiting San Fransisco to thwart (yet another) plot on her life. (Sorcerers are nothing if not a backstabbing bunch.) It just dumps you in the action, and... frankly makes you wonder if this is, indeed, the first book, or if you missed a previous installment, because it doesn't explain itself. (If anyone knows the 'thing on the doorstep' trick - please explain it to me. It gets referenced (as a method of body switching/takeover) but doesn't elaborate.)

Yet that's what's intriguging. It doesn't talk down to the reader. And well... the heroine is a bitch. She has to be. She's a politician, general, and practioner all roled into one. Frankly, I keep thinking of Capt. Janeway from Star Trek. Or Hilary Clinton. She doesn't have TIME to be nice and demure. She's got a job to do - so cut to the chase before she cuts your throat.

She's neither a hopeless, dewy ingenue nor a kick-ass superwoman. She neither has every man falling to her feet trying to bed her, or magically has every problem solved with a new power/artifact. It's gritty and real. I'm really enjoying it.

--------
Really liked this. And ok, the "Thing on the Doorstep" refers to a Lovecraft short story.
They finally tell you at the end. There's a lot of moments like that in the book, but it makes you want to read more.
I'm already halfway through the second book now. This series is kick ass!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Engines.