Annie's Reviews > Love & Lies: Marisol's Story

1851966
Dec 14, 12

bookshelves: dumped
Read in January, 2009

Today I officially give up on "Love & Lies." I found "Hard Love" very compelling when I read it in my YA lit class, but it ends a little messily. This sequel was a great way to tie up loose ends from the last book and bring a little catharsis. However, catharsis came early, and after that I lost interest. Marisol's path to self-destruction is clear and straight, and she's not giving up much of a struggle. I can see how this is going to end: with her heart broken by the manipulative teacher, and her having to be all the wiser for it.

I liked her better as a non-narrative character, when her thoughts were unknown. She wore mystery much better than a love-seeking heroine. Her confidence is rather endearing, but she comes off as more soppy than passionate this time around; she's too ready to throw herself to the wolves. Gio, however, worked just as well as a minor character as he did a narrator. Maybe Wittlinger has a better grasp on who he is.

I do enjoy when Wittlinger writes about writing, though. The human romance was lacking, but the romance of writing and creating was spot on. "Hard Love" made me want to start a zine. "Love & Lies" made me want to write a novel. I would totally take a Saturday morning community college writing class taught by Ellen Wittlinger.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love & Lies.

01/03/2009 page 84

message 1: by Faith (new)

Faith I didn't even know you could mark stuff as dumped. Is that something you created or goodreads?