Nicholas's Reviews > Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive

Jan 03, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: psychology
Read in December, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I think influence will be better.

Some interesting stuff.

Quotes:

"six universal principles of social influence: reciprocation (we feel obligated to return favors performed for us), authority (we look to experts to show us the way), commitment/consistency (we want to act consistently with our commitments and values), scarcity (the less available the resource, the more we want it), liking (the more we like people, the more we want to say yes to them), and social proof (we look to what others to do guide our behavior).

"When people are uncertain about a course of action, they tend to look outside themselves and to other people around them to guide their decisions and actions."

"labeling technique, involves assigning a trait, attitude, belief, or other label to a person, and then making a request of that person consistent with that label."

"Arguing against your self-interest, which can include mentioning a drawback of your arguments, proposals, or products, creates the perception that you and your organization are honest and trustworthy. This puts you in a position to be more persuasive when promoting your genuine strengths...be sure to follow your discussion of a drawback with a positive aspect that's related to, and that neutralizes, the drawback."

"People will be more likely to stick with programs and tasks if you can first offer them some evidence of how they've already made progress toward completing them."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yes!.