Dan's Reviews > The Dirty Streets of Heaven

The Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams

Sep 28, 12

Read from September 18 to 28, 2012

I wish I could just gush and say I loved this book because, well, it was written by Tad "F-ing" Williams... Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Tad Williams; Otherworld Tad Williams... The Dirty Streets of Heaven was a good book, but compared to the other grand pieces of Fantasy greatness that this man has created The Dirty Streets of Heaven is a pretty minor chord. I enjoyed the story, I was sufficiently entertained, Bobby Dollar is an all right character, but it's immediately obvious that Urban Fantasy is not Williams' forte... which is okay in light of the aforementioned greatness. There were a number of times during the story where it was obvious that Williams was trying just a little too hard to maintain the noir atmosphere and Dollar's attitude, and Dollar's asides to the reader (breaking that 3rd wall) got a bit tiresome -- yes, it was 1st person point of view, but it just didn't work for me. It's a nitpick, I know... Again, I'm not saying the book is bad... nor am I saying it shouldn't be read. I'm saying my expectation for a book written by Tad "F-ing" Williams is high, and I was unfortunately disappointed by the minor shortcomings of this novel. Williams' worst is still way above others' best, and this by no means his worst... it's simply not his best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dirty Streets of Heaven.

09/21/2012 page 45