Sarah's Reviews > Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading

220727
Oct 05, 12

bookshelves: essays, youngadult
Read from September 18 to October 05, 2012

This book is comprised of numerous "book reports" on some of the most beloved (to the author) YA books from back in the day. The majority of these books seem to have been written in the 60s or 70s so I didn't see quite as many of MY favorite teen reads from the 80s/90s on here. However, there were plenty of familiar titles ("Are You There God, It's Me Margaret", my all time fave "The Westing Game", etc...)

The problem with this book though is that it is TERRIBLY edited. There were so many misspellings and character miss-identifications that if you didn't know the story, or have an idea that maybe a mistake was made, you would be utterly confused. In addition, the book "Clan of the Cave Bear" was reviewed twice.

Honestly, I could do without most of the books in Chapter 10. I am all for sexy times in YA books, but there MUST be better steamy books than V.C. Andrews and "Clan of the Cave Bear". I did love this sentence from the "Flowers in the Attic" review though(a book I definitely hid while reading, before I even started it or knew why I should hide it):
"Andrews writes like a non-native speaker who has done time in a jail where they only show 1960's sitcoms and 'One Life to Live'". HA! Yes, that is to say, ridiculously.

Bottom line though is that I read this mostly for nostalgia's sake and I think it delivered. I was reminded of books I loved, but had completely forgotten ("The Girl with the Silver Eyes"! "The Wolves of Willoughby Chase"!) and my interest was peaked with a few books that I never got to, but apparently should have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shelf Discovery.

09/18/2012 page 145