Diane's Reviews > The Book Of Bright Ideas

The Book Of Bright Ideas by Sandra Kring

Jan 04, 09

bookshelves: a-favorite-read
Read in January, 2009

This book came highly recommended, and I must say I loved every minute of it. It was also a very quick read.

The story takes place in 1961 in Wisconsin where we meet nine year old Evelyn “Button” Peters , the narrator of the story. Button's summer is about to change her life forever when the Malone sisters show up in town. Freeda 25, is beautiful, headstrong, and uninhibited, her 10-year-old sister Winnalee, is bold, inquisitive and she walks around shoeless, carrying an urn holding her mother’s ashes, along with a notebook she called her "Book of Bright Ideas". It is in this book that Winnalee records everything she learns: her answers to the mysteries of life.

Bright Idea #1: If you take an ugly girl and you dress her up in a pretty pink dress, lacy anklets, and plunk a homemade bow on her head, you're not going to get a pretty girl. All you're going to get is an ugly girl in a pretty dress, lacy anklets, with a bow plunked on her head.

The two girls become like sisters. I could feel the utter sense of happiness when Winnalee told Button that she was her best friend, and I also felt Button's pain when she is forced to keep a dark secret from her friend.

This book is a wonderful coming of age story which reminds us to appreciate the little things in life, and to view the world through the eyes of a child now and then. This is a story of life, love, friendship and pain. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Of Bright Ideas.