Ra's Reviews > Lust for Life

Sep 18, 2012

bookshelves: favorite, historical-fiction
Read in September, 2012 — I own a copy

This is a book I can read in less than 24 hours

(24 hours for almost 600 pages in Indonesian translation)

I have a little problem with rating stars, I can't give this book only a 5 star. It deserves a 10 stars!!

It's by far my most favorite book, I won't lend this book to anyone so then I can reread it whenever I want ;), I'll put it on my precious collection.

If I'm not wrong this is his word when he had a heated debate with Gauguin;
Van Gogh: 'It is not the language of painters but the language of nature which one should listen to, the feeling for the things themselves, for reality is more important than the feeling for pictures.'

He's genius and he's still young when he said that. This is what designers need to embrace when they do their work, good design is a design with a soul.. SOUL,- find the essence of your design, not only design pretty stuff.

What a tragic life he has, never received happiness and poor during his lifetime but became popular after his death. He should have lived longer then produced more great works, I wish he could see now that he's a great painter in history and sold the most expensive paintings in the world

The book gives me a suspicion that Gauguin who cut off Vincent's ear. He seemed to be so annoying for Vincent with his vanity as senior painter. I dislike the way Gauguin underestimated Vincent. Vincent was really a kind friend let him stayed with him in yellow house for free.

And the saddest thing, his life is still in mystery, last 2009 I've read the news, he never shot himself, so who actually shot him.

I feel so sorry for Theo, the best brother ever.
I must admit it, this book brought me into tears, impressive job for Stone Irving and glad to know that this is his first book.

P.S I really want to own English version of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lust for Life.