Grimgirl's Reviews > The Hoard

The Hoard by Alan Ryker

Oct 08, 12

Read from September 25 to 27, 2012

How has no one written a horror novel set against the scary reality of a hoarder? Or if they have...I'm glad this one was my first "taste" of the complexly stacked terror of what was both a tense, sad, and fast paced progression of madness. The main characters are believable, raw, honest, and victims of both the horror unfurling it's red legs in and around them as much as they are to the habits which have long been working through their veins way before the hoard ever set in.

I'm not sure what is more grotesque and yet imaginable: the shame felt over a mothers hazardous and out of control situation, the image of the layers of filth which become a safe haven for the hoard as they bury and protect themselves deep in its moist dark layers; or the pain felt by the Queen as she is torn between her needs, her love for her son, and her memories all which twist and turn as she struggles to protect that which she feels is most precious.

The author does a great job in keeping the story moving forward with a few unexpected twists and turns; keeping you horrified both by what's happening as well as by how the characters each respond. Sometimes we are most powerless against those things we love and it's only our obsessions and compulsions that propel us forward or deep under.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hoard.

09/25/2012

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gillian (new) - added it

Gillian Thanks for the helpful review! I've heard good things about this book, so I'm looking forward to reading it!

Although two reviewers said that they couldn't stop scratching them selves the whole time while they were reading this book, they said the story made them itch?! It sounds like the kind of book that I'll love to hate (if you know what I mean?!)

Thanks for the great review, I'm deffo gonna read this book! :)